Playback Theatre Ensemble Auditions
The Living Arts Playback Theatre Ensemble is looking to expand our company. We are committed to reflect the diversity of the Bay Area, and are actively seeking men and BIPOC of all genders. We are looking for actors who are:
• Experienced, multi-faceted, with solid improvisational skills
• Empathic and intuitive listeners
• Aware of social issues and have an interest in serving the community
Please send headshot or current photo, résumé, and brief introductory letter to [email protected]
Monday, August 22nd, 2022 | 6:30-9:00pm
East Bay, Oakland Lakeshore District
PHONE: (510) 595-5555
EMAIL: [email protected]
REHEARSALS WILL TAKE PLACE WEEKLY IN PERSON IN THE EAST BAY WITH OCCASIONAL SESSIONS ON ZOOM
THE LIVING ARTS PLAYBACK THEATRE ENSEMBLE was created over thirty years ago under the direction of psychotherapist, drama therapist and theatre director Armand Volkas. It has since established itself as an innovative local and national performing arts resource.
Over the years it has supported the work of the Healing the Wounds of History project www.healingthewoundsofhistory.org and has received international recognition for its work bringing groups in conflict together and transforming historical trauma.
The Ensemble produces public performances and is often commissioned to perform for conferences, corporations, schools, hospitals, and celebrations of community and personal milestones. The Living Arts Playback Theatre Ensemble is one of more than a 100 Playback companies worldwide and is a long-standing member of the International Playback Theatre Network https://playbacktheatrenetwork.org/
PLAYBACK THEATRE was first developed by Jonathan Fox and Jo Salas in the 1970s. It is an improvisational form in which audience members share personal stories and watch as the stories are transformed into theatre pieces. A story can be anything: a childhood memory, a current life dilemma, an anecdote from work or travel, or a vision of the future. The essence of a story is then “played back” by a company of trained actors and musicians using spoken improvisation, movement, and music. Sometimes a story becomes myth, sometimes a realistic enactment. Some stories are tragic; others are funny or illuminating. Playback Theatre affirms the importance and dignity of personal experience, enables people to view their lives in new ways, and draws people closer as they see their common humanity.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ENSEMBLE REQUIRES:
• A minimum one-year commitment.
•Available for weekly in-person rehearsals on Mondays, 6:30 pm to 9 pm in the East Bay. Occasional rehearsals on Zoom.
• Participation in rehearsals that include trainings on Playback structures and techniques, as well as planning and preparation for performances. During rehearsals, company members have an opportunity to share stories from their own lives.
• Availability for company-produced performances. New members can expect a two-four-month training period before they are asked to perform. They will be asked to assist with performance-related support functions during the training period.
• Availability for additional privately sponsored performances for organizations, schools, conferences, celebrations of personal milestones, as needed.
• Active involvement in promoting and publicizing the work and performances of the company.
• Assistance with setups and breakdowns before and after performances.
• Ongoing in-house and guest professional trainings/workshops in the Playback form and related methods.
• The creative collaboration and support of a community of artists.
• Occasional stipends for paid gigs (although most performances are gratis).
• Opportunities to share personal stories during rehearsals when you choose to.
• Occasional chances to travel out-of-state or throughout the region for commissioned performances.
• The joy of playing a key role in the transformation of an individual or community through Playback Theatre.